At the end of this interactive two day training program, you will:
- better understand client behaviour and motivation to change
- effectively assess your client’s readiness to change through the transtheoretical model of behaviour change and the behaviour change rulers
- put into practice a range of motivational interviewing skills to explore and resolve a client’s ambivalence, including asking thought provoking questions and listening reflectively
- utilise practical communication skills to encourage conversation and comfortably manage and diffuse resistance in a constructive and positive way that supports the client towards change
- use a client’s values to strengthen their motivation to change
- give advice and offer suggestions the motivational interviewing way
- feel confident to put motivational interviewing into practice straight away
The two day training program includes many opportunities for reflection and review. Non-threatening group activities are incorporated throughout the two days.
Who Should Attend
The two day training program is ideal for professionals who would like to:
- effectively engage pre-contemplators and/or clients who are stuck, angry, in denial and resistant to change
- explore and resolve their client’s ambivalence and support them towards positive change
- encourage their clients to accept, commit and take action steps towards change
- confidently prepare their clients for change and increase their self-efficacy that change is possible and achievable
- explore their client’s barriers and potential solutions and who would like to invite clients to consider a new perspective
- engage clients who have complex health issues (focusing on psychosocial factors, mental health concerns, managing chronic disease)
- offer extended support to clients who are struggling with change (or brief intervention depending on time)
- further refine and increase their skills, knowledge and confidence in motivational interviewing
The Professionals Who We Have Assisted
- General Practitioners
- Allied Health Staff (OTs and Physiotherapists)
- Health and Wellbeing Coordinators (for e.g. alcohol and other drugs (including nicotine addiction), weight management, physical activity, gambling, medication compliance)
- Counsellors (including AOD), Psychologists and Social Workers
- Oncology Professionals
- Hearing Professionals
- Oral Health Professionals
- Vocational Consultants/Employment Support Consultants (for e.g. multiple sclerosis)
- Health Service Providers/Professionals (who provide workplace health checks)
- Outreach and Community Workers/Support Workers/Case Managers
- Defence Personnel
- Diabetes Educators
- Health Promotion Officers
- Pilates Instructors
- Education Professionals
About Your Facilitator
Stavroula Zandes, Director
Stavroula has a background in psychology and counselling, and worked with the Cancer Council Victoria (Quit Victoria) for 20 years in tobacco control. Her roles initially included Quitline telephone counsellor, and as a Quit Educator running seminars for smokers in the workplace and community setting.
During her time at the Cancer Council, she also managed and delivered Quit’s training programs to a range of health and community professionals across Australia. As a result, Stav has trained thousands of professionals from various sectors… Her relationships with these organisations and Educators, inspired her to establish ‘Health & Wellbeing Training Consultants’ to continue to provide education and training in an area that she is deeply passionate about – people’s health and wellbeing.
Stav and her team provide a professional service and create a safe haven for learning – we are the perfect solution for your training and professional development needs, and look forward to working with you to help improve your confidence, knowledge and skills in motivational interviewing.
Read Stav’s full bio here.
What do previous participants have to say?
“Very relevant. Stav’s presentation was excellent. I definitely will try to implement the skills I have learnt today.”
“The practical nature of the session and the structure, where I felt I was given ample opportunity to practice the skills I learnt with my fellow clinicians.”
“Lots of ideas and strategies to try using in clinic, especially for resistant/aggressive clients.”
“I loved this session today – it’s nothing I’ve ever done before. A great and simple approach which is doable.”
“Very engaging and motivating; practical and full of great examples.”
“Greatly appreciate your expertise. Thanks!”
“Liked the common sense approach – it was practical and useful. I really enjoyed this.”
“The positive enthusiastic presenter – Stav you have inspired me. Thanks for all the positive stories and applications and information.”
“Liked the scenarios, and how applicable and relevant they were to each particular workplace.”
“Gave me confidence in using a different approach dealing with negative clients.”
“Liked the practical strategies we can use straight away. I really liked the pros/cons’ table and will definitely be using this.”
“Useful strategies for engaging resistant clients, particularly those who have relapsed.”
“Stav was passionate, informative and engaging. Best ‘work’ training thing I’ve been to.”
“Stav’s expertise, engagement skills, knowledge and humour. It was a thoroughly wonderful learning opportunity, and I think that all health care providers be encouraged to complete this training.”
“This was such a useful course. I’ve been using the techniques on everyone including myself. My favourite technique is asking my clients “What would you change in relation to… if you had a magic wand?” I have used this twice with the same client to identify a very specific goal, and it’s been great.”
“Thank you for a great day. I was very sceptical about motivational interviewing as you probably realised, it’s not my style, but I found the day fantastic.”
“Stav, thank you so much for all your information. I enjoyed the day so much, and I know it was for my professional life, but if I’m honest with myself, I also got so much out of it for my personal life as well. You are an amazing presenter!!!”
“I just wanted to take the time today to reach out and express my gratitude for the MI training that you provided as part of the BKBM study. Integrating MI into my practice (and my daily life, apparently now without even realising it!) has truly transformed the way I practice as a dietitian, and I cannot thank you enough! I have started receiving some incredibly positive feedback from patients recently, and much of it I put down to significant changes in the way I now approach dietetic practice thanks to MI training.”
Want to experience the same?
Then click the ‘Add to Cart’ button above and book in today to secure your spot, and to avoid disappointment!