At the end of this interactive one day training program, you will be able to:
- understand addiction and identify the client’s smoking behaviour
- assess the client’s readiness to quit/cut down through the transtheoretical model of behaviour change
- utilise motivational interviewing to focus on, explore and resolve a client’s ambivalence
- engage clients in the smoking cessation conversation in 3 – 5 minutes as part of routine care
- recommend the use of quitting medications and their proper usage
- understand the safety, effectiveness and current recommendations surrounding electronic cigarettes
- highlight the support services available to clients for further help
The one day training includes many opportunities for reflection and review. Non-threatening group activities are incorporated throughout the day.
Who Should Attend
- health and community professionals who would like to engage in the smoking cessation conversation, and support smokers to quit
- supervisors/managers who would like to support their staff
- professionals previously trained in smoking cessation (as a refresher)
- smokers and non-smokers who want to learn more about smoking cessation
Please note that all participants are invited to fill out a pre-training needs assessment form to assist us in tailoring the training to suit your specific setting.
About Your Facilitator
Stavroula Zandes, Director
Stavroula has a background in psychology and counselling, and worked with the Cancer Council Victoria (Quit Victoria) for 20 years in tobacco control. Her roles initially included Quitline telephone counsellor, and as a Quit Educator running seminars for smokers in the workplace and community setting.
During her time at the Cancer Council, she also managed and delivered Quit’s training programs to a range of health and community professionals across Australia. As a result, Stav has trained thousands of professionals from various sectors… Her relationships with these organisations and Educators, inspired her to establish ‘Health & Wellbeing Training Consultants’ to continue to provide education and training in an area that she is deeply passionate about – people’s health and wellbeing.
Stav and her team provide a professional service and create a safe haven for learning – we are the perfect solution for your training and professional development needs, and look forward to working with you to help improve your confidence, knowledge and skills in motivational interviewing.
Read Stav’s full bio here.
What do previous participants have to say?
“Very informative and thorough.”
“Liked the way Stavroula engaged us with videos, stats, current information, stories and case studies.”
“Practical strategies and dynamic presentation style.”
“The breadth of information covered; very interesting information and strategies.”
“Enthusiastic, passionate, knowledgeable, engaging.”
“Thanks Stav. You were great. Refreshed me and reinvigorated me which will benefit my clients. It was short, concise, a perfect refresher.”
“Information on nicotine replacement therapy, motivational interviewing for smoking, rolling with resistance ideas. Lots of information on benefits and challenges.”
“Stav is very knowledgeable in the area – condensed information and tailored to our population group.”
“Made me think about the quitting process in another light.”
“Stav – you’re clearly besotted with your topic. The world has got to be a better place because of your work.”
“Now have more confidence and tools to help clients to attempt to quit smoking. Very informative and interactive and engaging! It was all fabulous! Thank you very much – thoroughly enjoyed.”
“Comprehensive and detailed.”
“Stav is a very warm, engaging and motivating speaker.”
“All content was extremely informative and useful.”
“Stav covered a great range of information and I enjoyed the way it was presented.”
“Exciting, interactive, useful, relevant – a fantastic presenter. Great slides too with interesting pictures.”
“Would love more staff to get to do this.”
“Comprehensive and great strategies for implementation. I feel inspired to ask more often and now I know more ways to advise.”
“Get Stav a job here at our hospital!! As head of the Quit Smoking Campaign!”
Want to experience the same?
Then click the ‘Add to Cart’ button above and book in today to secure your spot, and to avoid disappointment!